Napier Chills Region Golf Medalists
Many of the state’s top high school golfers ran into unseasonably cold weather conditions during Monday’s opening round of the Region 2-3A Championships at Pottsboro’s Tanglewood Resort. During Tuesday’s final round, it was the icy determination of Paris senior Tanner Napier that chilled the medalist competition.
Napier, the state’s No. 1-ranked Class 3A golfer, defended his regional title by firing a 4-under par 68 to finish at an even par 144 for the 2-day event. He was the only golfer to break par during Round 2 as he won by 5 strokes over runnersup Drew Jones of Decatur and Bill Ramage of Irving North Hills.
He now advances to the ultimate prize: the Class 3A State Championships, April 28-29, at Bastrop’s Hyatt Lost Pines Golf Resort. Napier finished second at state as a junior.
Napier opened the tournament with a 4-over 76 on Monday as a cold front and gusty winds ruled Round 1. Tommy Parker of Argyle shot an opening 75 to grab a 1-stroke lead over a trio of golfers: Napier, Ramage and Jesse Campbell of Kaufman.
Under more ideal conditions Tuesday, Parker ballooned to an 80 to finish in a tie for sixth with teammate Nick Louy at 155.
Argyle held off Pleasant Grove for the team title, 626-628. North Lamar finished third at 649 to earn a trip to state.
Paris’ girls team finished in 10th place with a tw0-day total of 866. Melissa won the team chase with a 712 total, while Atlanta was second at 755. Junior Alli Ruthart fired a finishing 91 Tuesday to move into a 3-way tie for 12th in medalist play.
- Boys Medalist: 1. Tanner Napier (Paris) 68-144; 2. (tie) Drew Jones (Decatur) 72-149 and Bill Ramage (North Hills) 73-149; 4. (tie) Braden Young (Pleasant Grove) 76-154 and Daniel Durham (North Lamar) 74-154; 6. Nick Louy (Argyle) 77-155 and Tommy Parker (Argyle) 80-155; 8. Jared Braydon (Brownsboro) 78-156; 9. (tie) Jon Beck (Pleasant Grove) 76-167 and Alex Isakson (Argyle) 75-157
- Boys Team: 1. Argyle 315-626; 2. Pleasant Grove 307-628; 3. North Lamar 311-649; 4. Kaufman 335-668; 5. (tie) Canton 337-684 and Decatur 336-684
- Girls Medalist: 1. Brooke Nolte (Melissa) 77-157; 2. Lexi Read (Bridgeport) 79-163; 3. Gabby Thompson (Atlanta) 86-166; 4. Brooke Irion (Bridgeport) 82-168; 5. Katlyn Watkins (Melissa) 87-170
- Girls Team: 1. Melissa 353-712; 2. Atlanta 382-755; 3. Carrollton Ranchview 398-796; 4. Bridgeport 391-799; 5. Mabank 399-821; 6. Frisco Lone Star 395-833; 7. Crandall 391-835; 8. Longview Spring Hill 418-847; 9. Mineola 407-857; 10. Paris 425-866
- Other Paris Girls Scores: Macy Chapman 104-217; Danielle Callaway 111-218; Mary Cobb 119-240; Julianna Clipson 126-254