2014 'Barking for Beauty' dog pageant raises money for New Hope Center; click for photo gallery
The ‘Barking for Beauty’ dog pageant was held Saturday from 1-5 p.m. at PetCo. The event was held to raise funds for Premier Home Care & Hospice’s ‘Beauty is Ageless’ senior pageant, which is a fundraiser for the New Hope Center of Paris homeless shelter.
‘Barking for Beauty’ was created by Premier Home Care & Hospice, who also hosted it along with PetCo and the Lamar County Humane Association.
PetCo provided each participant with a ‘goody bag’ full of surprises for the dogs, while the humane association had pets available throughout the event for adoption and also provided the kids activities and bounce house.
The dogs were judged in four categories, as well as an ‘overall’ winner. The categories were best costume, best personality, owner-dog look-alike, and people’s choice. Trophies and a special PetCo gift bag was awarded to the first place winner in each category.
The winners of the inaugural ‘Barking for Beauty’ dog pageant in each category were:
- ‘Best Costume’ – Katie (dressed as ‘Where’s Waldo), belonging to Lisa Martin
- ‘Best Personality’ – Baxter, belonging to Michelle Singleton
- ‘Owner-dog Look-alike’ – Winston, belonging to William Walker
- ‘Overall’ winner – Lizzie, belonging to Cindy Cobb
- ‘People’s Choice’ – Princess, belonging to Shelby McComb
The ‘Barking for Beauty’ judges this year were New Hope Center executive director, Gay Ballew; New Hope Center program development/grant writer, Lou Brown; and New Hope Center case manager Dawn Manor.
“It was a great event,” New Hope Center executive director, Gay Ballew, said. “We had a great time and are so thankful. I think that everyone really enjoyed it.”
Many door prizes, donated by local business, were raffled off as well. The door prizes were as follows:
- 30 minute massage at The Rub Club – donated by The Rub Club
- Two lunch specials at Tamolly’s – donated by Tamolly’s
- Two Oil & Filter Changes – donated by Toyota of Paris
- $45 gift card – donated by Cozy K-9 Cuts
- Free bath & dip – donated by the Love Small Animal Hospital
- Automatic Pet Waterer – donated by Atwoods
- Necklace set – donated by Maurice’s
- Curling iron – donated by Sally’s Beauty Supply
- Signature ‘Paris, Texas’ t-shirt – donated by Wild Moon Gift Emporium
- Oils and spices set – donated by Olive Paris
- Pet soap – donated by Wellness Center
- Collar, leash, brush and canine cookies – donated by Tractor Supply Company
- Pet bed - donated by Lisa Martin
- Dog treats and Peanut Butter Wafers – donated by Nancy Lloyd
- 100 pounds of dog food – donated by Performance Paint & Body
- Dog vests – donated by Tiffanie Wilkerson
The family fun event featured a bounce house, face painting, kids relays and other games.
With hundreds of dollars raised to support Premier Home Care & Hospice’s mission to raise funds for the New Hope Center of Paris homeless shelter, event coordinators have confirmed that there will be a 2nd annual ‘Barking for Beauty’ dog pageant next year. Spread the word and tell all the dog lovers you know that next year will be even better.
By Josh Allen, eParisExtra
Click thumbnails below to enlarge photos