Help Families Make Ends Meet - Volunteer with VITA
The United Way of Lamar County is urging people to become volunteers with the VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance). The goal is to help 150 families receive refunds that will reinvest hundreds of thousands of dollars in Lamar County. In order to reach that goal, the United Way needs volunteers.
The VITA providers offer free tax preparation for individuals and families earning less than $52,000 a year. A low-income family that qualifies for the maximum federal and CT Earned Income Tax Credits could receive over $7,000 from filing their return.
The United Way of Lamar County volunteers will be working to provide free tax return assistance to households from February through March.
- For all VITA volunteers, a minimal commitment is requested during the tax season, in addition to 12-16 hours of classroom or online training for Tax Preparers.
- All volunteers should have good communication skills and be comfortable working with diverse populations.
- Bilingual volunteers (e.g., Spanish) are in especially high demand.
- Any Individuals interested in serving as volunteer tax preparers will be required to complete 12-16 hours of IRS tax law training.
Benefits of Volunteering with VITA
- Gain personal satisfaction from providing an important service to your community!
- Develop lifelong skills and build your resume with free IRS training and materials.
- Rest assured that all volunteers are protected under the Volunteer Protection Act, which means no liability for volunteers.
There are several different types of volunteer opportunities available, from tax preparers and screeners to VITA greeters. Each VITA provider sets their own location and hours for services, and makes FREE IRS-certified training available to their volunteers. Contact our office right away to begin the Volunteer Certification Process, 903-784-6642.