PRMC Community Newsletter: Live Life to the Healthiest with PRMC
Prevent Heart Attacks with “Early Heart Attack Care”
Did you know that 85% of heart damage occurs within the first two hours of a heart attack? The good news is that knowing and recognizing the early signs and symptoms before a heart attack happens can prevent one from ever occurring. In fact, using “Early Heart Attack Care,” you can identify symptoms hours or even weeks before an actual heart attack occurs. While not everyone experiences the same symptoms, common signs to look for include:
Heart attacks can be prevented in 50% of people experiencing early signs and symptoms if they recognize and address the issue immediately. The only other way to save a life once a heart attack begins is to immediately call 9-1-1 or activate your Emergency Medical Services. Our motto is simple – Survive. Don’t drive .
To learn more about heart disease and prevention, please visit www.deputyheartattack.org.
Did You Know?
- Heart disease causes approximately 1 in every 4 deaths in the United States.
- About 50% of sudden cardiac deaths occur outside a hospital. This suggests that many people don’t act on early warning signs.
- Survey results show that only 27% of the respondents were aware of all major symptoms and knew to call 9-1-1.
Paris Regional Medical Center is committed to working with local companies that are making an effort to improve their employees’ overall health, happiness, and quality of life through. We spoke with Erin Barnes, RN, BSN, our Corporate Health Director, about our program Wellness Works’ and the benefits for the community.
Q: What is Wellness Works?
A: Wellness Works is a complimentary program that offers local employers assistance in decreasing and managing the cost of workers compensation claims as well as providing their employees with general health and wellness information. With a focus on injury prevention, injury intervention and wellness promotion, we work with local employers to tailor a program to meet their employees’ healthcare needs.
Q: What local companies are currently participating in Wellness Works?
A: Turner Industries, Paris Independent School District, Brentwood Terrace, Paris Healthcare Center, PEDC, Richard Drake Construction, Trinity Railcar
Q: How does someone get more information about Wellness Works?
A: Please contact Erin Barnes, RN, BSN, Corporate Health Director, at (903) 495-2471
Did You Know? Absenteeism, defined as an employee’s intentional or habitual absence from work, costs U.S. companies billions of dollars each year in lost productivity, wages, poor quality of goods/services and excess management time. In fact, “unscheduled absenteeism costs roughly $3,600 per year for each hourly worker and $2,650 each year for salaried employees.”
Kids Safe Saturday and Paris Art Fair
On Saturday, May 10, PRMC attended the Paris Art Fair with our new, state-of-the-art da Vinci robot, which showcased its precision through a painting demonstration. The demonstration was a success and resulted in some great artwork. Thanks to all who stopped by to see us!
Did You Know? In 2013, PRMC donated $44,500 to the community.
Here’s What’s Going on at Paris Regional Medical Center and in the Community
We are excited to host a number of events throughout May, and we encourage you to get involved. Take a look at what’s going on:
- Walk With A Doc (Thursday, June 19) – We’ve moved locations! Join us at 6pm at Trail de Paris for the next walk with Dr. Amanda Green, a hospitalist at PRMC who you may have recently seen featured in this article. Research shows that you could gain up to two hours of life for each hour of regular exercise – all the more reason to get out for a walk. For more information, visit: www.walkwithadoc.org.
- Girls Time Out (Thursday, May 22) – Dr. Amanda Green will also be joining us at Girls Time Out to talk about “Hospice: What Does it Mean?” at Christian Fellowship Church (3130 N. Main St.) at Noon. Refreshments will be provided at this free event. Call (903) 737-1438 to register.
For a full list of community events hosted by the hospital, please visit www.parisregionalmedical.com/calendar/.
About Live Life to the Healthiest with PRMC These bi-weekly newsletters will include information about what’s going on at Paris Regional Medical Center and in our community, doctor and nurse spotlights, guest posts from local health care experts, and health and wellness tips to help you live a healthier life.
If you have any questions or would like to suggest a topic for an upcoming e-newsletter, please contact Kristi Head, Director of Marketing/Community Relations at Paris Regional Medical Center, at Kristi.Head@parisrmc.com. We love hearing from our fellow community leaders and want to be your resource for everything health care – after all, you’re the reason we do what we do.