NLEF tailgating for a cause Saturday
Time to drop those tailgates and help some kids get to college with the North Lamar Education Foundation Tailgate Party this weekend.
The scholarship fundraiser is set for 6 p.m. Saturday at Love Civic Center. As with last year’s event, alumni and fans will show off their team spirit while serving tailgate cuisine. Proceeds go toward scholarships for North Lamar graduates.
Partygoers can vote for their favorite college or university by placing $1 bills in containers at each tailgate. A $500 scholarship will be given to a 2013 North Lamar graduate going to the winning school. Texas A&M University won last year.
There are 10 teams representing different schools this year, each with its own “tailgate food.” The teams include:
- Paris Junior College with sausage and cheese. Team members include Wendy Bozarth, Payton McMonigle, Lena Spencer, Michelle Wear, Kristin Irvin, PJC cheerleaders and Kenneth Webb.
- Texas A&M University-Commerce with beans and cornbread. Team members include James Dawson, Judy Holt, Janell Allen, Terry Steelman, DiAnne Pruett and Tammy Crutcher.
- Texas A&M University with Frito chili pie. Team members include Celeste and Cody Withers, Molly and Zach Saffle, Tammie Bates, Suzanne and Will Culbertson, Lori and Carey Malone, Rick and Shannon Erickson, Heather Vanderburg, Kim Perry, Patti and Ken Haley and Cameron Haley.
- University Of Texas with cake pops. Team members include Tracy and Scott Scudder and senior football players.
- Texas Tech University with tamales with various sauces. Team members include Mindy and Kenny Dority, Renee and Jeff Noble, Marcy Woods, Michelle Easton and Chris Snodgrass.
- Baylor University with Bear packs. Team members include Scott McDowell, Red Holmes and JoNel Eads.
- Stephen F. Austin State University with cupcakes, bread pudding, cake balls, brownies and cookies. Team members include Jennifer Bryant, Melissa Allen, Lindsey Blackshear, Cheryl Michael, Pam Garrison and Morgan Bryant.
- Oklahoma State University with pulled pork sliders, chips and dip. Team members include Stephen Smallwood, Angela Compton, Beth Harrington, Christi Coe, Virginia and Tom Jackson, Gina Prestridge, AVID IV Students and the OSU Alumni Association.
- University Of Oklahoma with mini tacos. Team members include Tonya Igleheart, Janna Bolton, Jana Keys, and Jon Milstead with Taco Casa.
- Louisiana State University with jambalaya. Team members include Roxan DeRosier, Mark Caldwell, Shellie Chaix, Gretchen and Adam Kobucar, Missy Starnes and Barbara Young.
The night includes both a live and silent auction. The live auction includes condo stays in Driggs, Idaho, and Corpus Christi; naming a North Lamar street; a laptop; meals from various local restaurants; Dallas Cowboys tickets; a Pete Rose autographed baseball; a Dirk Nowitzki autographed Basketball; an autographed 2012 North Lamar Panther football helmet; lawn care; and a guided turkey hunt at the Anthony Ranch.
The silent auction includes more than 100 items, including quilts, youth sports camps, tools, cosmetics, clothing, photography sessions, graphic design services, food, auto services, paintings, Mavericks tickets and much more.
NLEF is a non-profit established in 1998. In 2012, the organization gave 69 scholarships from $500 to $2,000 to graduating students. A total of 645 scholarships worth $380,250have been awarded since 2000. Scholarships have been used at more than 90 schools, including colleges, universities, vocational and technical schools. The organization has 15 endowed scholarships.