Paris, TX 53°F Clear

Valentine Weekend Fires

DSCF0504The Paris Fire Department responded to three working structure fires and one large grass fire in a 24-hour period beginning on Valentine’s Day, February 14.

The working fires began with a grass fire at 2:30 p.m. The first fire was located just inside the city limits on Hwy 271 North and was believed to have started from a brush pile that had been burned a couple of days before and had not been fully extinguished. The high winds rekindled the fire and blew embers on to the grass around it, starting the approximately 2 acre fire.

In the mop up stage of the grass fire at 3:50 p.m., the fire department was dispatched to 25 North Main (Time Flies) where smoke was reported coming from the building. Once on scene, fire crews found the kitchen to be on fire. Fire crews were on scene for just under two hours and found that a convection oven had ignited some plastic carry out bags that had been placed on top near the oven’s exhaust. The building received heavy smoke damage and the fire caused minimal damage to the structure. Owner and employees were working diligently to open for Valentine’s Day.

The Paris Fire Department responded to a residential structure fire just before midnight Friday night. The family of 445 SE 42nd Street awoke to their dogs barking and after investigating they found their home to be on fire. The family was able to get out of the home. Firefighters arrived and found the house to be well involved in fire. Firefighters, while battling the blaze, also attended to the children by placing them in their fire truck to help keep them warm during the cold night.

DSCF0541The homeowner tried to extinguish the fire with a fire extinguisher but was unsuccessful because the fire had already traveled into their attic. Flames damaged about 50% of the attic with remainder of the home receiving heavy smoke and water damage. Fire crews were able to salvage several items and vehicles during the fire. The fire department was on scene for approximately three hours. It was determined that the fire was caused when a breaker panel shorted out and the arching from the panel caused the wall and attic to catch on fire.

A few hours later at 8:18 a.m. Saturday morning, the Paris Fire Department also responded to a building fire located at 10 Northwest Loop 286 where one person received burns from an accidental fire.

Firefighters arrived on scene and found the commercial building on fire. The building contains nine commercial rental spaces. Three of the spaces remain without electricity do to fire damage. When a tenant of the building was attempting to change out a small propane tank, gas from it began leaking and ignited catching items on fire inside the building. The tenant, while trying to put out the fire, received burns to his hands and clothing. He was treated at the scene by Paris EMS.

The fire was determined to be unintentional. Firefighters brought the fire under control after a couple of hours.

SPONSOR
Smallwood Archer